Women Build 101
This annual event seeks to bring women together to help women homebuyers overcome the gendered barriers to homeownership. This October, we will accomplish two incredible feats:
- Raise $575,000 to help make homeownership a reality for women purchasing affordable homes with Habitat Chicago.
- Advance construction of these homes, oftentimes building right alongside the future homeowners over the course of 13 days in October.
WHAT: A month-long home-building event, bringing together 600+ women to celebrate our strengths, have a blast, and build stronger futures for our fellow women through safe and affordable homeownership
WHEN: Women Build will take place over 13 days throughout the month of October 2023:
- Thursday, October 5th - Saturday, October 7th
- Wednesday, October 11th - Saturday, October 14th
- Thursday, October 19th - Saturday, October 21st
- Thursday, October 26th - Saturday, October 28th
WHERE: The Habitat Chicago build sites in West Pullman
How Women Build Works
Each Women Builder commits to building on-site for one full day of the event (no construction experience necessary!) and raising at least $500, earning prizes along the way. There are two ways you can participate:
Be a Team Leader
Over 60 determined women commit to volunteer as Team Leaders. Each Team Leader will:
- Attend the Team Leader Kickoff on June 22nd.
- Commit to fundraising and building one day of the event.
- Recruit nine (9) women to join her team to fulfill these same building and fundraising commitments. Each team has an $8,500 total minimum goal.
- Motivate her team members and ensure they have a whole lot of fun every step of the way.
- Coordinate with her team to get everyone registered and ready to build.
Be an Individual Builder
If you are interested in coming out solo or with a friend or two, then this role is perfect for you! Each Individual Builder will:
- Join a team with open spots (we will get you matched up with a team, dependent upon availability).
- Commit to fundraising at least $500 and building one day of the event.
What to Expect
Whether you participate as a Team Leader or an Individual Builder, you are guaranteed a rewarding experience pressing for progress alongside hundreds of like-minded women.
The volunteer day is hard work—we won't lie about that! But experience tells us there is no better feeling than walking off the construction site at the end of the day and looking back at the homes you just helped build with your own two hands.
Plus, we're all about good times on-site. Check out posts from previous Women Builds using #CHIWomenBuild on your favorite social media platforms, or visit our Chicago Women Build Hall of Fame.
Ready to Go?
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get started!