Habitat Chicago’s Affordable Homeownership Program is designed for the long term health and stability of Chicago households and neighborhoods. Qualifying households meet three basic criteria:
- 1) Demonstrate a need for affordable housing.
- Their gross annual household income falls below the 80th percentile of Chicago’s area median income, as defined by the Department of Housing and Urban Development annually.
- 2) Have the ability to repay a home loan.
- Income, income history, credit, credit history, debt, and savings are evaluated to meet program requirements.
- 3) Are willing to partner in our program.
- This includes choosing to live in one of neighborhoods Habitat Chicago builds homes, completing between 200-250 partner hours over the span of 8-14 months, and attending our free homeowner education classes and support meetings.
It takes about 12-18 months for homebuyers to complete the program. At the end of it all, they become neighbors in one of our focus neighborhoods, living in healthy and sustainable homes built by themselves, volunteers (like our Women Builders!), and Habitat Chicago construction staff.
Meet a couple of our homebuyers:
Kenyatta describes herself as loving, determined, and compassionate. Her positive disposition is infectious and helps keep her and her fellow homebuyers motivated no matter the challenge. As a mother, current student, and now a future homebuyer, Kenyatta is on her way to achieve her many ambitions with a big smile on her face.
“I want to become a homeowner to have stability, comfort, and security. From building each other's homes and supporting each other through the Affordable Homeownership Program, I’m excited to help others achieve homeownership while I do so as well.”
Chantasia describes herself as compassionate, family oriented, and blessed. Others might describe her as a critical thinker, a team player, an avid reader… the list goes on. This future homeowner has many skills and even more aspirations – buying her own home is just one of them.
“My goals are to help my son complete college and to further my education in the medical field. Homeownership helps me achieve these goals because we’ll have a place to call our own to study in peace without worrying about the noisy neighbors.”